Violating the terms of probation can have serious consequences. A violation could mean that you have to go to jail or prison and stay there until your sentence is completed without the possibility of being granted bail. If you have violated your probation, here is what you need to know.  

Can You Receive Bail?

After being charged with a crime, most people are granted the right to pay a bond amount to be released from jail until their trials are completed. However, if you are on probation, you might not have this right.  

In some states, if you are charged with revocation of probation, you must remain in jail until a decision is made regarding your future. The rules of who is and is not eligible for bail can vary from state to state. Consult with a local bail bondsman to learn whether or not your state allows for a release on bail. 

When Does the Court Decide If You Qualify for Bail?

If your state does not have a set bail amount for probation violators, you will have to appear before a judge to determine if you are eligible to receive bail. How long that takes depends on a number of factors.  

For instance, the current caseload of the court can have a bearing on when your bail hearing can occur. If your probation officer is planning to attend, the court might also delay the hearing until he or she is able to attend. When you are arrested for the probation violation, you should be given a hearing date. If not, inquire about the hearing.  

What If the Judge Releases You?

If the judge does decide to grant bail, he or she will set forth the terms under which you might remain free. For instance, the judge might order you to complete any terms of your probation which you have not previously completed, such as taking GED classes. It is imperative that you follow the rules of your bail. It is unlikely that the judge will agree to bail in the future if you violate the terms of release.  

It is important to note that being released on bail does not necessarily mean that the judge will decide to allow you to continue on probation. The judge could still order you to serve out the original sentence in your case.  

Contact a bail bonds service in your area, such as Betty Bail Bonds, to learn more about probation revocations and being granted bail.